In recent years, nursing home abuse and litigation has been on the rise. Because of a growing societal awareness of the serious and wide-spread neglect and abuse that occurs daily in this nation’s nursing homes, states such as California have enacted laws to protect the elderly from suffering abuse and/or neglect, including California’s Elder and Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act (referred to as “EADACPA” or the “Act”). This is a remarkably complex law that was specifically designed to protect the elderly and dependent adults from physical, emotional and financial abuse, and neglect. Only a skilled, knowledgeable attorney who is familiar with the provisions and complexities of California’s nursing home abuse and neglect laws can provide a victim of nursing home abuse and neglect with the best legal representation.
What is Nursing Home Abuse?
We handle all types of nursing home litigation, including when an elderly or dependent adult in a care facility experiences:
- This includes, physical abuse, financial abuse, abandonment, isolation, abduction, or other treatment resulting physical harm, pain or mental suffering.
- Includes, but is not limited to failure to provide medical care for physical and mental health needs.
- Failure to assist in personal hygiene, or in the provision of food, clothing, or shelter.
- Failure to protect from health and safety hazards.
- Failure to prevent malnutrition or dehydration.
How our San Diego Nursing home lawyers can assist you with you claim
Our law firm has been featured in several nursing home abuse cases that have been highlighted by the San Diego media. Through our cases and media exposure our nursing home abuse lawyers have developed the reputation throughout California of being unyielding advocates for nursing homes residents. Attorney William M. Berman has helped to bring these issues to the forefront of our society by successfully litigating many particularly tragic cases, and garnering news coverage which draws attention to the horrific and woefully inadequate treatment that many of America’s elderly endure every single day. Many attorneys cover a broad range of legal fields but our attorneys are dedicated to specializing in the complexity of California’s nursing home and elder abuse litigation laws. We handle all types of nursing home litigation, including Elder Abuse / Neglect and Violation of Residents’ Rights.
If you or a loved one have suffered from nursing home abuse and wish to pursue a case, our team of lawyers can offer the experience and skill necessary to provide you with sound advice on how to protect your legal rights. Schedule a consultation by filling out the “Free Case Evaluation” or visit our contact page for more information on how to get in contact with one of our firm’s legal professionals to review your legal options.
Nursing Home Case Results
Selected below are some of our nursing home abuse case settlements from the greater San Diego, California area. Visit our case results page for a complete listing of all verdicts and settlements by our San Diego law firm.
- Elder abuse results in wrongful death at a Southern California nursing home – $2,200,000
- Nursing home resident dies when staff fails to diagnose and treat pressure ulcers – $1,700,000
- Lack of care at a San Diego SNF nursing home results in resident’s death – $1,500,000
- Nursing home resident dies from failure to administer medications – $1,529,999
- Death of resident due to lack or proper care at a long-term acute care facility – $1,125,000
- Elder neglect by the staff of a RCFE – $1,050,000
- Southern California RCFE resident suffers broken hip – $1,000,000
- RCFE resident seriously injured in a traumatic fall incident – $953,500
- The staff at a nursing home fails to detect and treat embolism of resident – $750,000
Attorney William Berman featured in Nursing Home News Story
We Handle Nursing Home Abuse Cases Throughout California
The main offices of Berman & Riedel, LLP, is located in San Diego but our firm in not limited to the San Diego and North County areas. We handle abuse and neglect cases involving Nursing Homes and similar elder care facilities throughout all of Southern California regions, including: